Monday, February 28, 2005

Good Movie of the week

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Sky Captain is a wonderful movie that pays homage to the old style of film making in the 30s and 40s. The best way to describe the style is retro art deco. The FX shots are long and sweeping.

The Plot

Set in 1939, scientists from around the world start to disappear without warning. Also, the cities across the world are being attacked by Giant Robots. While this is happening, a lone female reporter is on the case to discover the connection to between the attacks and the missing scientists.

Due to the growing threat of the Axis powers, the world governments decide to place Sky Captain on the case. Sky Captain, with the help of the pretty female reporter, must uncover the clues to the mystery.

Short review

I remember seeing the trailers for this movie everywhere. Yet, I felt somewhat apprehensive about the it. For one, I felt the nearly green screen movie would look too fake. Second, the delay in the release date from June to September did not boost my confidence in the movie.

Boy, was I wrong, because this movie is fun to watch. It is filmed with an old school feel. Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow are great together. The FX shots are the best you’ll ever come across. The acting is good, as well. The music is very 40ish as well, being loud and bright. It sounds like John Williams did the score. (He didn’t.)

A lot of credit must go to Kerry Conran. This is his vision. He directed, and wrote the movie. I only wish I could create a world as interesting as his. Someday…

This movie pretty much bombed at the theaters, but don’t let that stop you. The younger “hip” moviegoers don’t like retro things (dumb teenagers). Please give this movie a try. Don’t take my word for it, WATCH THE MOVIE.

Some things to look for

~ Gwyneth has never looked better. She is truly stunning in this movie.

~ The first Robot attack on New York is truly a highlight of the movie. I just love those big robots looming over the city.

~ The second robot attack is sweet too.

~ The opening scene is another highlight. Great Visuals.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I agree that Sky Captain looked amazing and the characters and story were compelling. (Yep, there's a "but" coming.) But, I just never connected with any of them. Gwyneth looked like a special effect, and acted like it, too. In fact, the person I rooted for most was Ribisi, and he's really just a pawn. Maybe I need to pick up the DVD and give it another shot.

Semaj said...

hello Jeff,
I agree some of the acting was wooden, but this is one of those movies that has style over substance. I never liked Gwyneth until I saw this movie.

Thanks for the comment. Always good to know someone reads my blog, lol

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47