Thursday, April 29, 2021

Digital Underground: Same Song revisited

 


I think this is my favorite Digital Underground track.  

Due to Shock G’s death, I rewatched the music video to Same Song.  I wrote a review of it years ago.  However, I gave it another look for today.  2Pac, Eazy-E, and Shock G are all dead as of 2o21.  That is really strange.  I also notice an outtake thrown into the editing of clips of Nothing But Trouble.  There is a shot of Chevy Chase looking at the camera and mugging.  That is not in the movie.  Some of the costumes are "problematic today, but this was filmed in the early 90s. I am not forgiving it for that just noting it.

By the way, I’ve never noticed that Dr. Dre and Eazy-E had cameos in the video.  A few years later, Eazy would be dead and Dre and 2Pac would be working on their California Love song.  

Since Humpty and Shock G are played by the same person, Shock G and Humpty share screen time together.  You even see Shock G push away Humpty.  I am guessing it was special effects.

So, how was this wonderfully fun song created?  Dan Aykroyd wanted DU to write a song for his strange movie Nothing But Trouble.  He asked them to make a song like The Humpty Dance.  “You know, the same type of song.”  DU took it literally and named it “Same Song” as a joke.  They even threw in a Humpty Dance reference during the organ solo at the end.  

Keep in mind this track came out in 1990 and that means it is 31 years old. It is good to look back at these old tracks.






No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47