Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Clint Eastwood binge

Clint Eastwood binge 
For some reason, I decided to watch a couple of Clint Eastwood’s western movies.  While I disagree with him politically, I find him to be a really good storyteller.   The two movies I watched are completely different tropes from the Western genre.  
High Plains Drifter:  I really dug this movie a great deal.  I do have a major problem with the rape scene.  The Stranger actually takes a woman and forces himself on her.  She first protests and then gets into it.  What were they thinking?  Anyway, the rest of the movie is extremely good.  It is the standard western story where a loner shows up and defends a town.  There is a twist in the fact that the townsfolk are pretty bad and have a hidden issue with the main bad guys.  I know there are theories into who the stranger is, but I like them all.  They all fit into the ending.  It is clear by the end of the movie that it is personal.  Is the Stranger a ghost or the brother of the dead Marshall?   
The Outlaw Josey Wales:  While I can’t cheer on the fact Wales’ character sides on the Confederate side of the Civil War, I like the story progression of him falling into a battle and getting caught up in a war he wasn’t interested in, but he lost his family in a raiding party by the Union.  The humor is actually well-written and directed.  Some of the best and funny moments are between Clint and Chief Dan George.  They make a good pair.  I also like the Native American woman that follows along with them.  For a conservative guy, Clint shows some progressive ideas in this movie toward the Native American tribes.  Many of his movies show a very progressive slant to them.  I really enjoyed Outlaw Josey Wales a lot.   

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47