Thursday, June 02, 2011

The Thing: some random thoughts

 The Thing
Man, there were nights I’d watch this on the movie channels and get freaked out by the gruesome scenes and the creepy atmosphere.
~This movie is far more serious than most John Carpenter movies.  Most of his movies have a wink to the camera feel to them.  This one is played nearly straight.  It should be noted that there were some strange funny bits deleted from the movie involving Kurt Russell’s character having a blowup doll. 
~Dog chase opening:  I love the way the movie opens with a Norwegian helicopter chasing a dog, which later turns out to be “The Thing”.  The Dog is an amazing actor.  The dog plays around like a human with the looks and sneaking around.
~The Dog Kennels scene:  I remember being freaked the f’ out by the scene when I was a kid.  I love how the “Thing Dog” assimilates the other dogs.  It is still creepy and disgusting today.  It is truly a creepy scene for the ages.
~ Keith David is a total badass.  I had completely forgotten that he was in the movie.
~The Ending: I love the dark ending with Kurt Russell and Mr. David sitting above the burning camp with neither one of them trusting each other.  I love that bit.  We’ll never know if Mr. David was turned or not…or Russell for that matter. 
~The blood-testing scene:  This is another well-directed scene with good acting in it too.  I love the way they build upon
~Russell plays his character almost completely straight, with the exception of the deleted scenes. 
~Kill it with fire.
~ Norris (Charles Hallahan):  Yes, it seems the creature copied the heart problems with the original Norris and actually ended up dying in a manner of speaking.  However, the creature transformed Norris’ stomach to a mouth to prevent the doctor from shocking him.  That scene is still creepy too.  What a way to die.  Getting your arms bitten off is not a good way to die. 
~ Ennio Morricone did most of the musical score for the film.  Some sources say Carpenter did in fact do some of the music.  But, I found the music way better than most of Carpenter’s films.  I love this score.  

2 comments:

MC said...

The game which chronicles the scene that the next expedition to that base face sort of destroys the ending of the movie, since it gives a definitive answer to that question.

Semaj said...

Really? Damn, I really loved the open ending to the movie. I'll have to look for a "let's play" video on the game to check it out.

Didn't the people working on the movie have a hand in making the game?

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47