Thursday, June 23, 2011

Forget Me Nots (Patrice Rushen)


Forget Me Nots (Patrice Rushen)
Do you remember this song?  It was a hit R&B song from 1982.  I fondly remember listening to this song on the radio, as my mother would drive us around.  The song has a sweet bass line and some nice vocals from Patrice Rushen. 
I always loved the claps in the track too. 
Younger people might remember the track being used in the Will Smith song MIB. 
The actual track is very close to the original, except they slowed the track down a bit. 
I remember Patrice saying that the MIB people asked her if they could just use a “sample” of her track for the Will Smith song.  They gave her a small amount of coin.  She realized they pretty much used her whole song, so she asked for more money.  They were basically low-balling her.
George Michael also used portions of the song for his Fastlove song.  

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Did she end up getting the extra money she (reasonably) asked for?

Semaj said...

Yep, she did. She joked about it when she said she heard the Will Smith song.

The interview I think was on one of those VH1 episodes. I tried looking for it

Sarah said...

I'm glad to hear that she got what was due her. Otherwise I'd be angry at MIB and I love that movie and it would make me sad to have to hate it.

Semaj said...

The first movie actually got better as I watched it more. When I first saw it, was disappointed in it, but now I really dig it.

Now, MIB-II is a different story...

Sarah said...

Yeah the only thing I liked about that movie was the post office scene.

And Tommy Lee Jones. I love that craggy face of his.

Semaj said...

When that Post office scene was going on, I had hoped the rest of the movie would have that feel.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47