Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Forgotten Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison thing

  


 

I re-watched the Sandler movie Happy Gilmore on TV.  I still can’t believe how good the movie is and that Sandler really tried to be funny in his early movies.  Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore were his early movies and the name of his studio.  I noticed some interesting connections between the two movies.   

 

In Happy Gilmore, Happy is breaking up with his long-term girlfriend.  As she leaves the apartment, Happy talks about her career.  It turns out she is an elementary teacher.  Hmm, didn’t Sandler’s character in Billy Madison also date an elementary teacher?  Was this character supposed to be played by Bridgette Wilson?  I know that Sandler wanted to make Happy and Billy different characters but it is clearly a reference to Sandler’s earlier movie.   


Here's the scene



 

I am guessing he didn’t want to take the character of Billy in the Happy Gilmore direction.  I never noticed that reference 


BTW, the scene leads to one of the best jokes in the movie.  Where he bangs the old Asian woman when she pops up in his room.  Very funny.  

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47