Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication: Star Wars and Star Trek



I was driving home and feeling depressed.  What better way to feel even worse by listening to a bunch of Red Hot Chili Peppers songs?  Californication came on, and I was listening to the lyrics. I always caught the Star Trek reference in the second verse, but I never noticed the deep Star Wars reference in the same verse.  Check it…

((Space may be the final frontier but it's made in a Hollywood basement

And Cobain can you hear the spheres singing songs off Station To Station?

And Alderaan's not far away, it's Californication))

So, he mentions the doomed planet Alderaan in the verse.  Thus, giving it a dark looming/dooming threat.  “It’s not far away.”  That gives it a double meaning because the planet is filmed in Hollywood but also the fate of the planet.  I never caught the Star Wars reference before.  And, I caught the Kurt Cobain shoutout too.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47