Thursday, May 15, 2008

Die Hard II thoughts (Yippie Ki Yay Mr. Falcon)

I just watched the tail end of Die Hard 2. While certainly not the best movie in the Die Hard series, it still has its moments.

Here are a few thoughts I’d like to make.

~Renny Harlin directed this movie, when John McTiernan (Die Hard) was too busy. I wished they would have waited for McTiernan’s schedule to clear up and hired him to direct. Harlin simply doesn’t have the skill that the McTiernan has in making action films. After this hit, Harlin would produce crap after crap movies.

~William Sadler and John Amos make great villains. I also like the plot twist involving Amos.

~When Sadler’s character tricks the British Airplane down, I couldn’t believe it. It is a harsh scene, but it makes the audience hate his character even more.

~Colm Meaney is the pilot of the airplane that crashes. Meaney would later end up on Star Trek TNG and then move to DS9. William Sadler would have a recurring role on DS9 as a villain and share a few scenes with Meaney.

~Scenes from an early workprint of Die Hard 2 has made its way to the Internet:

Die Hard 2 Workprint - Icicle Scene: Just a couple of seconds added here.

Die Hard 2 Workprint - Airplane Scene: A few seconds added here and there. There are added shots of the people inside the plane screaming and shielding their eyes. Harlin admitted it was too much. And I agree with that, editing a few seconds out was a wise move.

Die Hard 2 Workprint - Skywalk Scene: Just a bit bloodier.

~There was another deleted shot of a little girl on the doomed airplane right before the plane crashes. She’s the one that owns the teddy bear. It happens right after the Stewardess confronts the old lady. Check out more here.

~And who can forget the wonderful TV edit? Yippie Ki Yay Mr. Falcon?

5 comments:

MC said...

Die Hard 2 has one of my favorite concepts in moviedom... one which I paraphrase all the time.

John McClane: I guess I was wrong about you. You're not such an asshole after all.
Grant: Oh, you were right about me. I'm just your kind of asshole.

I know a lot of people who are my kind of assholes.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I haven't seen this movie in years, and I completely forgot that Robert Patrick was in the skywalk scene.

Surreal.

Semaj said...

MC: Yeah, those are brilliant. Someone best lines in an action movie.

I always felt the storyline to DH2 was very good, but poorly executed by the director, who's gone on to prove he's a shitty director.
________________________________

Yvonne: Don't forget John Leguizamo too. He signed up for a larger role, but found out he was nearly written out of the movie.

Robert Patrick has a great moment in that scene.

Anonymous said...

OK, I have to get my hands on this and watch it again.

Or I could just wait until the new season of 24 starts. (Insert smirk here.)

Semaj said...

24: I guess they're proceeding with the storyline from season that never was right? The one where a certain character was supposed to be dead, but turns up a villain?

Die Hard: I'd rent all four die hard movies over the weekend and watch them. It's a very interesting way of watching them. I did this with Lord of the Rings and Dragon Ball Z

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47