Monday, April 26, 2021

Shock G passes away. So, long, Humpty

 


 

This death hit me hard and came out of nowhere for me.  Digital Underground is still important to what Hip stands for today.  Outkast and A Tribe Called Quest to have to pay tribute to this group.  Shock G, AKA Humpty Hump, was one of the founding members of Digital Underground.  He passed away a few days ago.   

 
 

Shock G was very important to me growing up.  He was the forerunner of modern hip-hop mixing 70s songs with a rap of the 80s and 90s.  I loved the piano and funk mixed in the jokey lyrics.  With structure and humor, It is something that is lacking in modern hip hop and rap.  Rap had charm, edge, and different aspects to it.  Humpty Hump was an alter ego to Shock G.  He envisioned a large group of rappers that would come in and out with some fake character rappers thrown in too like MC Blowfish.  With great songs like The Way We Swing, Humpty Dance, and Same Song, you have some excellent hits.  While I love Sex Packets, Sons of the P is just a perfect album.   

 

BTW, who can forget their movie debut in the strange movie Nothing But Trouble.  Oh, I got other songs I loved too.  I Get Around, DoowutchyalikeRockin to the PM, No Nose Job,  Kiss You Back... 

 

 



No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47