Saturday, December 12, 2009

That was messed up

That was messed up…

I went to U of L on Friday to conduct some business before the campus closed. After walking away from one of the buildings and heading back to my car. I noticed a bicyclist riding his very nice road bicycle across the CSX railroad tracks that go through U of L. Because I am a bicyclist too, I always check out most bikes I see on the road. This guy had a good speed going as he headed for the Floyd and Warnock. Keep in mind that this is a very deadly and famous intersection.

I look away for one second and I hear a smack of light metal and heavy metal. I quickly turn back to the intersection to see that the red road bicycle was on the street, and the rider was on the street a few feet away from his mangled bicycle.

That was when I realized a freaking car hit the guy on the bike. Basically, the bicycle was heading straight on Warmock as the car was turning left against ongoing traffic. She must have not seen the biker riding through the intersection and struck him as he crossed the intersection.

“Holy shit!” I said out loud looking back at the car that hit the guy.

Here’s the worst part; after being thrown from his bike the guy attempted to get up from the crash and walk. This was most painful part; he managed two wobbly steps forward looking completely confused and fell back down. This meant there was some serious damage done to his body. This really disturbed me.

Here’s the crazy part, there was an ambulance at the intersection when this happened and they reacted quickly by pulling up to the accident and immediately helping the biker. In that sense, it was lucky that the ambulance was right there and watched the accident happen. I called 911 just to be sure some law enforcement people were going to show up, because there should have been some U of L cops showing up to the scene, but instead just regular Louisville Metro PD showed.

I’m not going to get into what the woman was doing during the aftermath of the accident, but she did stay at the crime scene as the cops and fire department arrived. I noticed the little dog in her car. She didn’t seem to freak out during the situation and remained calm.

Basically, I don’t know what happened to the biker or the woman that hit him, but both their lives have changed because of this. For me, it totally freaked me out because I am a bicyclist myself and I’ve been almost hit a few times. Worst place for a bicyclist is the intersection.

I just hope the guy is okay.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47