Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another 48 Hrs.

Eddie: "Don't hold Meet Dave against me, or Norbit."

Another 48 Hours

I watched this follow up to the first movie (48 Hours) a few weeks ago and found myself really enjoying this movie more than I did back in the day. While it isn’t as good as the first movie, this one has some charm and violence that you don’t see in these PG-13 movies today.

Plus, there are some memorable lines. My favorites are these:

Reggie: You think I'm happy about being here think again. I'm supposed to have money in my pocket and a new life and the last thing I wanted was to be hooked up to your dumb ass again and you? You're about two steps away from where I was yesterday so you're not running shit. I'm gonna lay it out straight Jack: I don't like you and I don't trust you.
Jack: O.K. cut the bullshit ok? Give me something I can use.
Reggie: The Iceman? The Iceman bought your house.
Jack: Now God damn it! I said cut the bullshit!
Reggie: I can't believe you haven't put this together yet. Me and Ganz robbed a drug dealer, *that* was the Iceman, he's still pissed off about the shit. I see your wheels turnin there. Yes, yes, the man who you've been lookin for bought your fucked up car and put a down payment on your house and you've been riding around in a car that he bought for you lookin for him which makes you the dumbest motherfucker in law enforcement. Get in the car, you've got a bad shoulder and I don't wanna get into a wreck. I, unlike you, have a lot to live for.

Other things worth noting in the film

~Bernie Casey looks totally different in this movie. He’s the one that punches through the window telling Eddie must keep his word.

~Kevin Tighe (John Locke’s dad) plays the asshole IAD officer. This guy is good at playing assholes and crooks. Just don’t lock him in a room with Sawyer.

~Look for a very young Tisha Campbell (Damn Gina) in the later haft of the movie. BTW, she looks great again. She’s lost all the weight.

~Page Leong is the girl who gets topless in this movie, sort of like when Denise Crosby got topless in the first movie. You have to wonder if she puts that in her Bio, “Played topless hooker in Another 48 hrs.”

~Eddie Murphy is a little overweight in this movie, something he admits to now. He wasn’t happy about it either. Look at his suit, it’s a little too small for him in the neckline.

~What exactly kind of club was Eddie and Nick Nolte in? There were rednecks mixed with white guys in yuppie suits mixed with strange girls with big hair.

~I thought it was neat that they brought back Brion James from the first movie, where he played a small part in the first movie, and made him out to be the main villain. They could have easily brought in a new character and made him out to be the bad guy.

~Great scene with the prison bus being attacked.

Videos:

Eddie taking care of business in that strange cowboy/yuppie bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6UVZ_B6cSs

The Evil bike gang shot a female officer, (who is very butch, and didn’t know she was a she until she spoke)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx1wPYAkZ5E

Grade: B-

4 comments:

Ammaro said...

i dunno... im starting to lose faith in eddie.. just hoping he doesn't do another movie where he acts out a million people at the same time. he used to be great, but now its gotten to the point where one eddie is more than enough to get on my nerves, let alone 10 of him

Semaj said...

Agreed, he needs to get back into playing single roles and R-rated action comedies again.

However, there is word he might retire soon.

PJ said...

Yeah, he had so much potential when he first came out. And the way he treated Mel B was really sucky.

I agree that he should go back to those action comedies, he really shone in those movies.

One last thing: Roxanne! You don't have to put on the red light!

Semaj said...

I wonder if the Rosanne song in the movie was the reason he attempted to make a recording career.

That whole Mel B thing was a strange story, but remember he also got married for like a week to another woman and then divorced her.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47