Monday, October 23, 2023

They Cloned Tyrone Review Part 1 of 2



After a co-worker insisted I watched this movie, I have to say I my pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie.  They Cloned Tyrone is some of the most fun I’ve had with a movie since The Menu. I am glad my co-worker asked me to watch it.   Netflix takes chances with their movies and it is rewarding to see these types of movies.  

Like Get Out, it has some social commentary, but it does it in such an entertaining way that it doesn’t feel like it is preaching to you.  Newer writers take note; this is how you write the “The Message” without it being a blunt object.  It wraps most of the long-term issues in the black community in a creepy and funny narrative.  

This movie will make you upset with Lucasfilm for shafting and cucking John Boyega’s character in Star Wars.  Boyega is a great actor, and it is a shame his character didn’t grow like he does here in this Netflix movie.  While some of Jamie Foxx’s behavior is a bit taxing, he is very good as a comedic character.  It is a bit cliche, but there is a reason for that in the story.  Trust me.  The other breakout character is played by Teyonah Parris.  While she plays a hooker, she is actually way more than that person.  In some ways, she is the star of the movie, especially when you find out the truth about other characters.  Kiefer Sutherland is almost unregonzsable.  He’s like a well-dressed cowboy and the main villain, sort of.  

The other aspect that this movie does well is the look of the film.  With the clothing, rooms, and cars, It has a 70s aesthetic to the whole thing.  It is a grindhouse film but it is set in our current time.  I like this balance.  

 


No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47